Drawing Hands

Drawing Hands
M. C. Escher

Thursday 15 September 2016

When I grow up

Do you remember what you wanted to be when you grew up?

I suspect like me you had a many ideations along the way. I wanted to be a pilot, a professional football player and a teacher. There were others of course but I cannot remember them. I know that as we grow older we become more at home with our areas of interest and strength. Or at least we are meant to. The truth is that I still have the same desires and urges to be a multitude of things. Honestly I think I have simply become less optimistic about the eventualities of life. I've also possibly become more sophisticated at hiding my hopes in the subtext of my other actions.

Maybe this post is a confession. I love teaching but I want to be a few other things while I am teaching.

I would love to be a philosopher. A carrier of truth, depth and thought about life and its machinations. At the same time I would love to be an artist. I don't mean a painter or sculptor, I mean someone who captures an essence, an aesthetic, in the things he does in order to move the heart of the person who encounters it.

Everybody loves a story, but a story told with depth and artistry moves a person's very being. It disrupts and sends echoes of beauty to the very core of our humanity. It acknowledges a truth that is innately grasped.

I think true theology is a divine meeting of philosophy and art. Encountering a God who joins himself to us while pointing us to the reality of who he is- that is beauty and truth. The creator of beauty and the originator of truth. God: the philosophy and art of life.

So maybe its not who I am but who I know that will enable me to grow into the person I want to be.

So instead of:

'that's what I want to be when I grow up', 

maybe it's:

'that's who I want to know so that I can grow up'.

No comments:

Post a Comment