Drawing Hands

Drawing Hands
M. C. Escher

Saturday 3 September 2016

Keystone Hobbies

One of the strangest side effects of my burn out has been a loss of enjoyable hobbies. I used to love doing things outside such as playing sports and running. I enjoyed playing card and board games. I used to do things.

I no longer have these things. I don't know where my hobbies went. They were there when I last checked but I lost them somewhere along the way...I've already checked behind the couch.

When you shut down one aspect of your life, it seems others shut down with it. It's like Ecology (I'm a Biology teacher after all). When one part of an ecosystem is affected you just never know what the flow on effect will be. There is an organism within any ecosystem which is considered to be vital to its health and success- it's called a Keystone species. Without this species the ecosystem loses stability and slowly changes or dies. Maybe Risk was my keystone species. Perhaps as a result of letting go of some of my hobbies, I let go of my creativity.

When I have down time now, I only do one of a few things. I either play playstation, watch TV or search the internet for something stimulating. My ecosystem is out of whack. It lacks diversity and, as a result, health.

I need to find a keystone hobby. My new hobbies are enjoyable but happen too often. If you have any good suggestions for me I'd be happy to give them some consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment